Cavendish Laboratory III approved by University of Cambridge
The Cavendish Laboratory is a world-famous institution – the Old Cavendish Laboratories were designed by WM Fawcett, and opened in 1874.
The Laboratory, which is part of the Department of Physics, moved to its current site in West Cambridge in 1974. An astonishing 29 Cavendish researchers have won Nobel prizes, with perhaps the most famous being Francis Crick and James Watson, who discovered the double helix structure in DNA in 1953. The building was named after the physicist and chemist – and discoverer of hydrogen – Henry Cavendish.
Cavendish III – the third site in its illustrious history – will host several high-tech specialist labs, teaching labs, seminar rooms and two lecture theatres.
The new Cavendish building will be located at the Paddocks site at its West Cambridge Development, with completion expected in 2021.
Formal planning permission for the £300m project will now be sought. The project is being funded through £75m worth of government funding, which is being matched by the University. The remaining £150m has come by way of philanthropic donations in support of the plans.
The site of the current Cavendish laboratory will be used for a new building for the Department of Engineering, which has also received approval from the university.
Professor Andy Parker, head of the Department of Physics, told the University’s Regent House committee: “The new facility will replace buildings dating from 1974 which are now well beyond their design lifetime and are no longer able to provide a suitable environment for our teaching and research.
“In addition, the buildings incur large running costs because of their old-fashioned design, which falls well below modern environmental standards.”
Stand by for more amazing scientific thrills!